Posts tagged Ethan Hawke
The House with a Clock in its Walls – Trailer
First Reformed – Trailer
Halloween – Teaser
Ready Player One – When the creator of a virtual reality world called the OASIS dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all OASIS users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune.
The Death of Stalin – Follows the Soviet dictator’s last days and depicts the chaos of the regime after his death.
God’s Not Dead: A Light in Darkness – Pastor Dave responds to the unimaginable tragedy of having his church, located on the grounds of the local university, burned down.
WarGames – A young man finds a back door into a military central computer in which reality is confused with game-playing, possibly starting World War III.
Top Five – Movies Referenced in Ready Player One
1) Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin, Tim Burton): When a recently-deceased ghost couple find their now-vacant home invaded by an obnoxious family, they hire a sleazy ghost who gets rid of humans to help them.
2) Bright Lights, Big City (Michael J. Fox, Kiefer Sutherland, Phoebe Cates): A disillusioned young writer living in New York City turns to drugs and drinking to block out the memories of his dead mother and estranged wife.
3) The Seventh Sign (Demi Moore, Michael Biehn): Abby Quinn is eagerly awaiting childbirth but is haunted by dreams where she suffers a miscarriage. When she decides to rent a room to a mysterious stranger, she realizes a chain of events that will unleash the end of humanity.
4) Stand and Deliver (Edward James Olmos, Lou Diamond Phillips): The story of Jaime Escalante, a high school teacher who successfully inspired his dropout prone students to learn calculus.
5) A Time of Destiny (William Hurt, Timothy Hutton): A modernized version of the story which inspired Verdi’s opera, “La Forza del Destino”.
Pretty Effective Monster
The Magnificent Seven
Undisputed Classic: The Magnificent Seven
1986 The Name of Rose
Ghost in the Shell
The Red Turtle
Who would have thought that in a year that includes an Avengers movie and a Star Wars movie that Jurassic World would have been the biggest movie of the year….so far? Jurassic World is one of the best monster movies I’ve seen in awhile. I was alone in thinking this however. Sean liked it but has it behind Furious 7, Avengers and Mad Max this year. In my opinion only Mad Max is better and more fun. Then there’s Josh who couldn’t not watch it as a scientific drama rather than a monster movie. His loss.
We also take a look at Kyle Smith’s article on how women can’t possibly comprehend Goodfellas. Obviously we disagree with him however what offends us more than his unintentionally sexist theme is his offensive take on Goodfellas comparing it to Entourage. Fuck you Kyle Smith.
The I Hate Critics podcast has been asked to be a part of Lebowski Fest in Milwaukee Wisconsin the weekend of Aug 21 and 22nd. Please if you’re in the area we’d love to hang out and get to know some of you.
We asked the audience in honor of Jurassic Wolrd being released this week, what their favorite monster movies were. We talked about your movies as well as King Kong (all of them) and Jurassic Park.
1985 – Prizzi’s Honor, D.A.R.Y.L., and Secret Admirer were released.
Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2
Rock the Kashbah
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Welcome to the I Hate Critics Oscar recap show. It’s late, we’re all three exhausted and it shows. The Oscars are just two damn long. “Birdman” wins the night. I think the three of us differ on how good “Birdman” is, it’s my favorite of the movies nominated, I think it’s a little lower on Josh and Sean’s list. We all three agree that “Gone Girl” is the best movie of the year, but what are you going to do?
Some memorable moments in the show include JK Simmons telling us to call our moms. Patricia Arquette asking for equal women’s rights, it’s sad that in 2015 this is still an issue. Common delivered one of the most powerful speeches of the night and the writer of “The Imitation Game” deserved to win another award for his acceptance speech.
It’s weird, there’s not much to complain about. I was entertained enough, but it was just so long. I apologize if we’re not completely with it this episode…we’ll get them next time.